Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mushroom risotto

I'm kind of obsessed with risotto and rice dishes in general. So for Italian week I tried two risotto reicpes. Here is a simple one with mushrooms.

The ingredients:
1 cup risotto
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup cream
About 200-300g mushrooms
1/2 onion
2-3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Fresh herbs (I used thyme)
Salt and pepper
The recipe:
Melt butter in saucepan and saute onion for a couple of minutes.
Add mushrooms and saute until they are brown and juices are reduced, about five minutes.
Add wine and cream (or don't, totally optional...) and 1 cup of water if you are cooking with rice like me.
Add risotto and simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed, 10 minutes. I didn't actually use risotto, I used "rice for risotto". If you use "real" risotto, you'll have to add a ladle or 1/2 cup of water every minute for 20 minutes. About 6 cups of water.
Add fresh herbs. I used my landlady's thyme.
Mix in fresh herbs, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
Enjoy!
 Serve with soup. I'm still trying to perfect the art of soup.
Substitution ideas:
Add more veggies to make "vegetable risotto", add a handful of spinach at the end, use broth instead of water, don't use wine or cream

No comments:

Post a Comment