Friday, December 24, 2010

Why I love Christmas pt 4

Reason #4 why I love Christmas: presents
I started this year trying to make only homemade gifts and cards. I think it is great and personal. 
Brownies for my cousins
 
I somewhat like receiving presents, like everyone I guess, but this winter I realized how wonderful it is to have Christmas in the middle of the winter. It feels especially good to "receive" and be spoiled in the middle of a difficult, cold period. After trying to save money, be disciplined, deal with solitude and patience, Christmas is like an oasis in the desert for me. It's nice to eat out, relax and have free time.
Limpets (lapas) at a restaurante yesterday,
a traditional food here from the Azores
The greatest Christmas gift, as a priest said yesterday at mass, is from the real Santa Claus, our Father in heaven. And he gave us Jesus, the greatest gift of all. Christmas is a difficult time for a lot of people, that don't have family or feel sad, and even for me it is difficult sometimes not to be overwhelmed by the hurt and pain that you see when family is united. If you are hurting or even if you're not, I encourage you to read or hear about Jesus, because he really can cure all pain or sadness. He is the answer to our deepest desires, all the promises God made in the Old Testament. He has made me a new person, answered my dreams in wild ways and I am so blessed to be able to know the greatest gift of all. 
A rainbow outside my window the other day,
here in the Azores

No comments:

Post a Comment