Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Generosity

One thing about having less money and trying to live more "simply" because of it is that you appreciate gifts more.

I am kind of greedy with clothes, even though it may not seem like it (!), and used to be constantly unhappy with my wardrobe. I used to spend a lot of time thinking about what kinds of clothes I wanted, waste time and money looking for them. I usually ended up unhappy after having them anyway. Now that I don't buy clothes anymore, I am finally, after years, starting to appreciate the clothes I have in my closet. Realizing I don't need more. Realizing I can match things I have in different ways. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the presents I get from people seem to be things I needed and I appreciate them much more since I don't buy things for myself. Like a simple green scarf I got for Christmas. I wear it all the time, it's my favorite scarf and it makes me feel instantly cozy when I put it on. I never wear the other scarves I spent lots of time and energy into imagining and buying. Like rainboots that I couldn't even have imagined more adorable.

I loved the Reese's my sister brought to my house, the cake recipe a friend gave me on Sunday, food people sometimes try to give me when I have dinner at their house, the chocolates my landlady gave me for Christmas. I think they disappeared in a day.

It's like things have more value when you couldn't have bought them yourself and have less things. You're instantly more appreciative. So you appreciate generosity more. Even God's generosity.

Of course I appreciated the fact that when I asked a friend if I could sleep over last night, with some fear of being a burden, I was welcomed with arms wide open. I really appreciated a warm bed (warmer than mine!), a warm shower, tea, her time and friendship.

And the cherry on the top? She gave me socks! For me to sleep in and keep. If that's not extreme hospitality, I don't know what is. Aren't they the cutest?

"Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

No comments:

Post a Comment