Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A silent retreat

My Spanish kind-of spiritual director, when I told her I was having a minor breakdown back in June, suggested I make a big stop before taking the next step. So, following her advice, I'm going on a week-long silent retreat starting... TODAY! It's called Spiritual Exercises, developed by the founder of the Jesuits.

Why am I retreating into silence for a whole week?
  • Because I boldly and without too much reflection embarked on a project last summer that over the course of the year has not gone as I planned and has pretty much failed in human terms. And I don't know what to do next.
  • I am job-hunting (only have a small, part-time job) and don't know what I want.
  • I am discerning my vocation with my boyfriend and have been doing so for a while.
  • I feel like I'm pretty much in darkness and want to listen to the still, small voice before taking the next step. As my Spanish friend said, "invite God in to rebuild my fallen house with me".
I'm pretty scared. A whole week! Pray for me and I'll be back next Thursday!

source

No comments:

Post a Comment