Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Nun's Story

Yesterday was the first  "Audrey Hepburn movie session" with my friend Sofia. We're going to watch her movies together. We watched "The Nun's Story" and I was pleasantly surprised. I think if that same movie were made today, there would be more inaccuracy in the portrayal of life in a convent and Catholic theology. I was surprised, though, because the movie was really good and the convent was kind of a background story, not too focused on and also not attacked. I really liked the theme of pride and humility. They would confess their faults to one another and correct each other and it was said that the degree in which it was difficult to do so was the degree in which pride was still alive in you. I also liked how she had to wait to get what she wanted, how she had to be patient and had to be prepared by time in order to be mature enough for it. Disappointment is an important lesson, a nun told her. Here are some other quotes I liked:
 
“You must learn to accept with love whatever comes to you.”
“The more we are looked to for examples, the better examples we become.”
“The sacrifices required of us are bearable only if we make them with love.”
 
 
“I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.” ― Audrey Hepburn
 
PS To learn about real nuns, and happy nuns, the best place is to learn directly from them and not from mainstream movies. I love, for example, the Sisters of Life and Dominican Sisters of Mary... who were on Oprah!

No comments:

Post a Comment