Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why men love "good girls"...

"'And the spouses approach each other,
I sleep, but my heart is awake.
Listen! my beloved is knocking.
Open to me, my sister, my friend,
my dove, my perfect one.' (Song 5:2)
The search-aspiration has its interior dimension: 'the heart is awake' even in sleep. The term 'perfect' on the lips of the bridegroom belongs to this dimension. The male aspiration born from love on the basis of the 'language of the body' is a search for integral beauty, for purity free from every stain; it is a search for perfection that contains, I would say, the synthesis of human beauty, beauty of soul and body. And if the words of the bridegroom just quoted seem to contain the distant echo of the 'beginning' - that first search-aspiration of the male man for a being still unknown - they resound much nearer in Ephesians where Christ, as Bridegroom of the Church, desires to see his Bride without 'spot', desires to see her 'holy and immaculate' (Eph 5:27)." Theology of the Body 112:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment