Monday, January 14, 2013

The tragic Tess of D'Ubervilles

Life is made up of a lot of bad things and some good things... is something I heard this weekend. Upon further thought, I think it might be true. Life is tough, an uphill battle. However, I don't think it's as hopeless and terrible as it is portrayed in the book Tess of D'Ubervilles. I am still depressed today after finishing it yesterday. It's a page turner, and has a really strong and interesting female protagonist, but it is REALLY, REALLY, horribly tragic and depressing. If I had known how it would make me feel, I might not have read it.  On the other hand, it made me put my own life and blessings into perspective.


 
“The beauty or ugliness of a character lay not only in its achievements, but in its aims and impulses; its true history lay, not among things done, but among things willed.”
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles
 
“This hobble of being alive is rather serious, don’t you think so?”
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles

No comments:

Post a Comment