Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Little Town on the Prairie Quotes

Image result for little town on the prairieI read Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little Town on the Prairie and loved it, just like all the books before it. I especially liked seeing how teenagers fit into society, how they socialized within social rules and had lots of supervision. It kind of reminded me of how mormon teens socialize nowadays. It makes sense, because Laura got married at 18 and lots of mormons get married at 18, too. So you have to have a plan for responsible dating. And you have to have a society that helps and community. That's my dream for when my kids are teenagers. Here are some of my favorite quotes. 

"I mean I don't believe we ought to think so much about ourselves, about whether we are bad or good," Mary explained. "But, my goodness! How can anybody be good without thinking about it?" Laura demanded. "I don't know, I guess we couldn't," Mary admitted. "I don't know how to say what I mean very well. But - it isn't so much thinking, as - as just knowing. Just being sure of the goodness of God." (chapter " Springtime on the Claim")

"The earthly life is a battle," said Ma. "If it isn't one thing to contend with, it's another. It always has been so, and it always will be. The sooner you make up your mind to that, the better off you are, and hte more thankful for your pleasures. Now Mary, I'm ready to fit the bodice." (chapter "Blackbirds")

She had not known how hard it would be, sometimes, never to be cross with Grace who was always trying to help and only making more work. It was amazing, too, how dirty they all got, while cleaning a house that had seemed quite clean. The harder they worked, th dirtier everything became. (Chapter "Mary goes to college")

No comments:

Post a Comment