Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Self-criticism

Kitchen night club. Crazy kids. 

I know a few people who have gotten divorced after having a baby. Apparently there are some statistics which say couples who have twins have higher rates of divorce. Couples who have handicapped children have higher rates of divorce. 

I have a theory which is "couples who experience obstacles and difficulties are more at risk of divorce". Which is... everyone. It is hard enough to experience obstacles and difficulties on your own... a million times harder with someone else. 

Or not. If you have some supernatural help to love each other with a supernatural love. It's called grace. If you love and patiently support each other like 1 Corinthians 13. 

My cleaning lady was telling me about how she is a second away from divorcing her husband (prayers?!) and it broke my heart to hear her list his every fault and vice. Her childrens' every fault and problem. Of course, it bothered me because I also saw myself in her. When I get sad and upset, I see the problems of those around me better than I see my own. 

But as a great G.K. Chesterton quote goes: 
"What embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but an absence of self-criticism."

God doesn't give us a detailed list of our faults and vices or "tell us to our face" how we are. If only we (and I) could love each other with God's love and not our own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment