Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why I love Christmas pt 2

Reason #2 why I love Christmas: the message of Christmas

I find it so ironic consumerism and materialism dominate "wordly" Christmas spirit when for me the message is the complete opposite.

"What a story! Jesus did not consider equality with God something to be grasped. Instead, Jesus, who could have come as the most powerful monarch whenever He wanted, invaded human history as a wee baby in an occupied country in the middle of the Roman Empire. And why did He do that? For us, so 'that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life' (John 3:16). I don't ever want to forget that. I don't want the truth of the Gospel to be a holiday thing. It's got to be 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year. And if I have to put on some Christmas carols in July, I will do that." -- Denny Rydberg, Inside Young Life, 2005

I love the story of God that became a little, tiny newborn baby. That he chose a poor, young, unmarried woman to be his mother, not someone that had read a million books on child psychology. That he was born in the most humble conditions, without any cute baby clothes or strollers. I love how the people that came to visit him weren't rich or important, but were crazy magi and simple shepherds. I love how God was born right in the middle of family life, and through the simple faithfulness of a young couple. I love how the Christmas message is one of silence, poverty and most especially a journey.

I love this video about the digital story of Christmas. Have you seen it? It's so cute! Thank you to the wonderful people that sent it to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment