Monday, April 01, 2013

The Pietà and Holy Saturdays

Happy Easter!  


I hope your Easter was full of peace and life. 

My Easter was pretty intense... my fiancee and I went to a silent retreat for three days. I learned important things, mainly that the Christian life is most like Holy Saturday: it's not all pain and sin, but it's not all triumph either. It's more of a hopeful and faith-filled trust that God will not let suffering be the final word. There are two main responses on Holy Saturday(s): the running away of the disciples (and either blame/anger or guilt) or Mary's standing at the foot of the cross. Mary was certainly overcome by grief, but she also knew that God wouldn't let death be the final chapter. She had no idea how or when, but she knew God would make things right. 

I pray I will learn this from Mary in all my current and future Holy Saturdays... 

"Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope." 

Romans 5: 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment